As I have mentioned I have sat through a lot of presentation this year. When I get bored my mind wanders. One of these times I thought:
“I wonder if all these different BI company tag lines are similar”
So here we go, a selection of tag lines from BI companies:
- Brighter business intelligence
- We provide quality information management services
- Data warehouses right now
- Making information visible
- The power to know
- Business intelligence for intelligent business
- Making business intelligence easy
- Visual analytics for everyone
- Business intelligence made simple
- Think fast
- Insight now
As you will see all keep to the recommended style of short (2-4 word) taglines Most mention business intelligence and most have a doing or action word.
But as you scroll down them do any really stand out? Not to me.
I remember when I was at Xero we spent an inordinate amount of time working through a tagline. We never got there before I left, but after me somebody came up with “Beautiful Accounting Software” Simple in that it says what they do and has an emotive term all in 3 words. (what happens when they do more than accounting, say payroll?)
So I think the moral of the story is ignore most vendors taglines and if you are creating your own company/product, pick one you don’t hate without navel gazing for ever. Because it doesn’t really matter but you will look at it on a daily basis for a few years (hopefully).